Monday, January 3, 2011

Christmas Vacation was not what I am used to!! Part ONE

   I always look forward to Christmas Vacation from school/work as a time to rest, relax, get things done I normally don't have time to do in a normal week. This break was none like any other I have ever experienced and I hope to never experience again!
   School ended with the kids on early release and having lunch with the school staff. The very next day I received a call from my sister telling me that our Mom was in the hospital with chest pains. The next update was that she was being sent to Tallahassee for further care. I received many more calls from my Sister and my brother-in law the rest of the afternoon getting updates. The Doctors in Tallahassee determined that Mom had had a massive heart attack and they would need to do a heart catheterization immediately. Well...once they got in there they found her artieries 90% blocked and that they could do no repair because of the damage and her artieries being too thin. Next came the dreaded call- Do we authorize a DNR or not. Even though Mom has told us for years that her wishes were to issue DNR it was still a very difficult thing to utter. Thankfully Mom was awake and able to tell the Doctors herself what her wishes were. The Doctor told my sister that Mom would not leave the hospital. Scary thought. I slept as much as I could with the phone next to me that night waiting for a word...any word.
   Jennifer and I got up the next morning and made the drive to the hospital. When I got there she was sitting up talking! I was surprised to see this! She was not perfect as she developed congestive heart failure and pneumonia as well while there. She started getting her color back and was able to fuss at the nurses so we knew she felt better!
  The power of prayer is amazing! Church friends, facebook friends, and anyone who would listen to our story sent prayers and to our amazement God issued an extended warranty on Mom this Christmas Season!
Mom has since been sent back to Moultrie...not to her apartment but to a rehab center where she is trying to get stronger and hopefully back to her home.
   I know that Mom's time is limited here on earth. She is 88 years old but at least we had her for one more Christmas! God is an amazing God!

Part TWO coming!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

My First Blog!!

Well...I swore years ago that I would NEVER be "one of those"...one of those "bloggers" who write about their life and pretend that strangers would be interested.

I guess I am eating my words right now!! I am creating my very own blog!! Why??? I guess because after reading some blogs lately...some written by folks related to me and some complete strangers...I have decided that I DO have something to say!

My secret dream for my future was to become a writer. This will sort of be a way to fulfill part of my dream. I have been thinking about this for several days now...I want to actually write a book! I got started on it tonight and it will be a children's book. It is based on a sweet little girl that became my "buddy" last year!! I still have some tweaking to do but I let my daughter Jennifer read it and she thought it was very sweet and that kids would like reading it! That says alot since she has no problem being honest with her dear old Mom!!


I will let you know when it is finished!