Saturday, November 5, 2011

3 Months and counting.....

Well....It has been a little over 3 months since I left the comfort of my home at Twin Oaks and accepted the position at Lee County High School. Remember when I said I was ready for a challenge????? I have certainly had several challenges!!

The challenge of an older school once again. The challenge of double the employees and double the personalities. The challenge of a new faculty to try to get to know. The challenge of LOTS of more students to feed and order groceries for. The challenge of once again being involved  with a school doing construction. The challenge of trying to survive the South Ga. heat in a NON air conditioned kitchen. Yes. There have been lots of challenges!

I have to admit that there have been times when I have had regrets. More ladies calling in sick (which rarely happened at TOES). The level of noise (lots of very loud voices...ok..yelling) ...I miss the quietness of my former kitchen. The problem of replacing a manager who almost lived there and always was there to do whatever the school staff wanted regardless of policy. The extreme heat in the kitchen when I had gotten used to a much cooloer kitchen.

However...since I said I was ready for new challenges I have received just that! I AM excited about lots of things as well. I am excited at how well new food items have been accepted. I am looking forward to the construction to be complete so I can go "full blast" with all my ideas for things to serve to the students. I have so many neat ideas that I would never would have been able to implement with elementary kids! I plan on having a soup and salad bar at least 3 days a week. I want to try a breakfast for lunch day at least once a month...a meatless Monday for one of the serving lines....an "International" day once or twice a month.

The ladies at this school have been very welcoming to me and very accepting of the changes I have made which is half the battle! The school staff has enjoyed some of the new foods and help me get the word out about changes.I know things will only get better and easier once I am there longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My First Blog!!

Well...I swore years ago that I would NEVER be "one of those"...one of those "bloggers" who write about their life and pretend that strangers would be interested.

I guess I am eating my words right now!! I am creating my very own blog!! Why??? I guess because after reading some blogs lately...some written by folks related to me and some complete strangers...I have decided that I DO have something to say!

My secret dream for my future was to become a writer. This will sort of be a way to fulfill part of my dream. I have been thinking about this for several days now...I want to actually write a book! I got started on it tonight and it will be a children's book. It is based on a sweet little girl that became my "buddy" last year!! I still have some tweaking to do but I let my daughter Jennifer read it and she thought it was very sweet and that kids would like reading it! That says alot since she has no problem being honest with her dear old Mom!!


I will let you know when it is finished!