Thursday, July 7, 2011

Long time away...so many potential changes!!

I have been away from this blog for a LONG time!! I need to do a better job!!

January-May was a pretty busy time for me. The manager at the High School went out for neck and back surgery in January and I was asked to do double duty at TOES and the High School.

I was really terrified at the prospect. I had been at the Elem. level for a while and was very comfortable with the way things were going. But...I am usually up for a challenge and I knew someone was needed so I agreed.  I had an excellent staff at TOES and knew they could handle me being away more and the High School did not even have an assistant manager so it had its own challenges!

For the first several months Regina and I did the grocery orders together and when I did not have time she posted any invoices that needed to be taken care of. Also a huge help was that she took care of anyone calling in sick and getting their replacements...whew!!

I added some new items to the menu and experimened with a few other things and from everything I heard, the students and teachers were very happy!! There were times I felt like I met myself coming and going some days!! I would drop Jennifer off at TOES in the morning and check my emails. Then I would go over to the High School to open up, work on paperwork, check in trucks if they were there and try to make sure everyone was happy. I would stay there until around 9 or 10 and then head over to my school to work lunch and get started on my paperwork. Later, after lunch I would finish the daily paperwork and then head over to the High School before that crew left and I would then do the daily paperwork for that school!!! In May an assistant manager was put into place so then in the afternoon I would head over to the HS to teach Lisa how to do the paperwork and then at the end of her day I would go back to my school to finish my paperwork and orders and wait for Jennifer to walk over from the Middle School!!! WHEW!!!

All in all it was a pretty good experience...in spite of having 2 inventories...2 grocery orders...2 sets of payroll items!! There were days when I got passwords mixed up between the 2 schools and times where I would need to order something for one school and ended up ordering it for the other school!!! I am surprised I did not mess up more than this!!

Well...we found out that the manager will not be able to come back to work....so...where does this leave me???   I thought long and hard and had many sleepless nights thinking about this. Do I want to transfer to the HS?? Do I want to stay at TOES?  I had kids that love me and love getting and giving hugs, huge office, brand new equipment, awesome staff...why in the world would I give that up??

I decided I would apply for the position! The main reason is for the challenges. They have old equipment, tiny office, much bigger kids that will not appreciate the hugs that the TOES kids loved from me!! I still have to go through the interview phase of this but I don't think anyone else will want to leave their school. Who knows? Time will tell. I do find myself thinking about what changes I could make but at the same time I have left this in God's hands. If it is meant to happen it will.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My First Blog!!

Well...I swore years ago that I would NEVER be "one of those"...one of those "bloggers" who write about their life and pretend that strangers would be interested.

I guess I am eating my words right now!! I am creating my very own blog!! Why??? I guess because after reading some blogs lately...some written by folks related to me and some complete strangers...I have decided that I DO have something to say!

My secret dream for my future was to become a writer. This will sort of be a way to fulfill part of my dream. I have been thinking about this for several days now...I want to actually write a book! I got started on it tonight and it will be a children's book. It is based on a sweet little girl that became my "buddy" last year!! I still have some tweaking to do but I let my daughter Jennifer read it and she thought it was very sweet and that kids would like reading it! That says alot since she has no problem being honest with her dear old Mom!!


I will let you know when it is finished!